What is your role at the Vitality Center?
I am currently a fitness professional, sports and strength training specialist at the Vitality Center.
Brent Sands in the news!
Vail local to play hockey in Winter Olympics
Certifications CSCS and Certified TRX Functional Trainer
Education BS Degree in Exercise Science and Art (doubled majored) from Concordia College in Moorhead Minnesota.
- NCAA College Hockey Athlete
- Hockey strength and skill Instructor since 2007
- Former professional hockey player
- Pensacola Ice Flyers
- Mississippi Surge
- Louisiana Ice Gators
- European Professional hockey-Finland
- Center for the Vail Yeti Hockey Club
Why do you like working at the Vitality Center? I love the easy accessibility, the beautiful location, the wonderful amenities, and the quaint student to teacher ratio I can share with my clients and classes. What’s not to LOVE?! ITS VAIL!
Where and how were you educated? I received my Bachelors at Concordia College in Moorhead Minnesota.
Why did you choose this profession? Health and fitness are a passion of mine! Work becomes play when you have the blessing to live your passion.
What do you like best about your job? The most rewarding part of my job is seeing my client’s expression when they hit their goals and achieve desired results.
What are you most skilled in treating? My area of expertise is sport specific training.
What are the top 5 biggest myths about what you do?
- Trainers love to see you in pain….actually pain does not need to be present for growth to occur and, in many cases, it is counter-intuitive.
- A trainers job is to help you lose weight…..actually my job is to help you make smart, attainable and specific goals, while coaching preventive care…after all exercise is medicine.
- One hour is the perfect amount of training time….workout protocols differ depending on the goals and individual. Each client needs a personalized exercise prescription shaped to his or her needs.
- Women who lift weight will bulk up…..Women’s testosterone levels are much lower than men’s. Therefore, they are not capable of building large muscles. In fact, since muscle takes up less room than fat, women tend to lose inches when they strength train.
- I don’t have time or energy to work out hard to see results…Truth is, even moderate activity is shown to reduce heart disease and stroke. Any exercise is better than none.
What types/kind of clients that respond the best to your treatment?
I enjoy working with ALL generations and all skill levels. If you have a great positive can-do attitude and a strong work ethic, then you need to come see me!
What your favorite activity to reduce stress? I don’t live with stress; we live in Vail haha but a few of my favorite activities include weight lifting, playing hockey and painting.
What the most important thing you can tell someone about their health? I believe the key to staying healthy is staying happy, humble and thankful.
How do you explain what you do in 50 words? I am a fitness professional involved in exercise prescription and instruction. I motivate my clients by setting goals and providing feedback and accountability. I measure my client’s strengths and weaknesses with fitness assessments.
What are the top 5 problems you treat?
- Self Confidence.
- Fear of improper use of the weight machines, dumb bells or exercises
- Poor nutrition.
- Inadequate hydration.
- Weak range of motion, strength and flexibility
Who is your role model? My role model is Dwayne the Rock Johnson. He is always working harder and striving to be better everyday at ALL his professions.